1 Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory because of your faithful love, because of your truth. 2 Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?” 3 Our God is in heaven and does whatever he pleases. 4 Their idols are silver and gold, made by human hands. 5 They have mouths but cannot speak, eyes, but cannot see. 6 They have ears but cannot hear, noses, but cannot smell. 7 They have hands but cannot feel, feet, but cannot walk. They cannot make a sound with their throats. 8 Those who make them are just like them, as are all who trust in them.
According to “World Religions: Religion Statistics, Geography, Church Statistics,” there are approximately 4,200 religions in the world. Each religion has unique beliefs about life, death, and which god (or thing) should be prayed to and meditated on. In Hinduism alone, some sources claim there are over 33 million gods that lead to the ultimate source of power. Buddhism, depending on its location in the world, mixes with Hinduism beliefs and teaches karma—if you do “right” in this life, maybe in the next one you will be given something better.
If you’ve ever wondered how someone of the Muslim faith is taught to get to heaven, here is a brief summary of the five pillars one must follow:
- Declare that Allah is the One and only God and Mohamed is his prophet.
- Pray five times a day.
- Fast at specified times, especially during Ramadan.
- Pay the alms-tax.
- Make a pilgrimage to Mecca, unless one is a cripple or very poor.
“Even though not listed as one of the five tenets, Jihad could be interpreted as the sixth necessity on the road to heaven. ‘Unless we go forth (for Jihad), He will punish us with a grievous penalty and put others in our place. Oh, true believer, take not the Jews or Christians for your friend. They cannot be trusted. They are defiled. When you encounter the infidels, strike off their heads till you have made a great slaughter against them’ (Koran 9:38-39).”
In Christianity, our God is in heaven and does what He pleases (verse 3), and He chooses to pour out His love for us like no other religion! Although we could not restrain our sinful nature, God so desired a relationship with us that He sent Jesus. Jesus gave us His life as our Savior before we even knew what He had done.
Jesus is so much more than one of many gods to be prayed to or a means to get to heaven. He is the Way (for right now), He is the Truth (for today), and He is the Life (for this world and the coming Kingdom)! “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Take time to praise God today for the small things! Consider the beautiful colors outside, the comforting rain, the brilliant sun, the laughter of children, a quiet moment in the car, and the very fact that you can take another breath today.
- We serve a God within a religion that is completely set apart from all others. Jesus came not only to provide our salvation, but by His stripes we are healed. Ask the Living God who remains the same in all ages to bring His peace, His power, His healing, and His love into your hearts and minds.
- Remember you are seen, known, and called by a God who is accessible and who is deeply in love with YOU!