6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Do you find it is hard to believe what you read, hear or see these days? The world is awash in words telling you what to do, how to act, what to believe. The world emphatically wants you to go its way.
Thomas asked Jesus in John 14 verse 5, “How can we know the way?” That’s a question many of us are also asking. Teachers tell us the way. People close to us tell us the way. Movies and television shows tell us the way. News tells us the way. It’s often loud and overbearing, stirring up anxiety and pulling us to follow the false ways of the world.
Jesus told Thomas how to sort through the constant barrage of messages in order to know what path to take when He said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” We must compare the life and teachings of Christ with what the world says is the way. Christ is our “False Teaching Detector.” Through what He taught and lived, we can determine whether the teachings we hear are the world’s way or God’s way.
- Identify the source of what you’re being told. Can you tie the teaching back to a truth in the Bible? If you cannot, it is probably the way of the world.
- Measure the person doing the teaching. What are their credentials? What are their core values and truths? Are they the values and truths of Christ?
- What is their underlying motive and agenda? Does it come from love of God or love of the world?
Jesus said in John 14:1, “Do not let your heart be troubled.” We should not be anxious or afraid. At the same time, it’s not wrong evaluate what we hear. It is up to us to not get caught up in false teachings. If the source, character, and motives are not focused on Christ, then your “False Teaching Detector” should sound the alarm.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Sometime today, turn on the TV for 30 minutes to either the news or a TV show.
- Listen and watch. What is the program teaching you? Is your “False Teaching Alarm” going off?
- For the next 30 minutes, read and reflect on John 14:1-7. Is what you were watching teaching you “the true way”?
Pray for our ministry partner, the International Leadership Coalition, which trains, prays with, and walks alongside international church pastors in Nashville. Middle Tennessee is home to 91 people groups; 31 are unreached by the gospel.