‘Tis The Season!
Christmas cookies hold a special place in all of our hearts, but these fancy, coffee-infused treats will bring your festive snacking to the next level! These soft and sweet cookies are filled with an incredible hazelnut frosting for an elevated dessert experience that will pair so well with your Christmas coffee. This is a recipe you’ll want to save for the next holiday season, too!
Espresso Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
Servings: 8–10* | Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 7–8 minutes
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ cups flour
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup Nutella hazelnut spread
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup melting chocolate
*Makes approximately 40 bite-sized cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar. Beat until well-combined.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and instant espresso. Mix again.
- Add remaining cookie ingredients, and mix for 2–3 minutes until a natural dough ball forms.
- Lightly dust your cutting board, countertop, or piece of parchment paper with flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Remove your dough ball from the mixing bowl and place on the floured surface.
- With a rolling pin, roll your dough until it is ¼-inch thick.
- Use a 1½-inch round cookie cutter to cut the dough into small circles.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer your cookies onto the baking sheet and bake for 7–8 minutes.
- Remove your cookies from the oven.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the filling by combining all your filling ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix for 1–2 minutes until creamy.
- Fill a Ziplock bag with your filling, and cut a small hole in one of the bottom corners of the bag.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, squeeze the filling onto half of the cookies.
- Top each cookie with another cookie, creating a sandwich.
- Place the melting chocolate into a microwave-safe plastic bag or bowl. Melt the chocolate according to the package instructions.
- Drizzle chocolate on top of the cookies with your design of choice!